In the HHH Episode #11 we talk all things meat prep- getting your wild game out of the mountains, home, and then how to make things like summer sausage yourself. This is a simple way to enjoy your deer or elk, AND knowing what exactly is going into it!
Wild Game Summer Sausage
- 2 lbs elk or venison meat
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Optional: fennel seed, agave, or maple syrup for sweetness, red pepper flakes, black pepper for spice, or rosemary, parsley, oregano for savory.
- Blend all ingredients in a bowl, which typically works by using your hands.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 24 hours.
- Remove from fridge and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Form the mixture into 3 logs.
- Wrap in parchment paper.
- Wrap in aluminum foil, that you have poked a few holes in the bottom of (so juices can get out)
- Place on oven racks, with pan underneath to catch juice, and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from foil, and completely cool before cutting.
- We like to vacuum pack ours for freezing and storage.
Not that good looking, but OH so great tasting!