Borscht is a staple dish in Eastern Europe and Russia, and since we grow so many beets, making borscht is a great way to combine those with our onions and carrots! You can make it slowly on the stove, or in the Instapot. Either way it makes a delicious, sweet, and warming soup!
- 4 raw beets
- 1/4 lb green cabbage
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh chopped
- 2 tbsp. oil such as coconut, avocado, or ghee
- 8 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional- but makes it very yummy!)
- Peel and wash the beets and cut them into small cubes, you should have 2 cups.
- Wash and cut the cabbage into thin strips, which yields 1 cup.
- Wash, peel and slice the carrot and celery, as well as onion and parsley.
- Sautee onion in oil until soft and transparent.
- Add the beets, carrots, celery, water and salt and pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add cabbage, garlic, and tomato paste and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and parsley, and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with a spoonful of sour cream and serve!
Serves about 8.