Listen to HHH Podcast #40: Food Friday- Can't BEET It and learn about the healing properties of beets on our Healing Foods page.
Dips are great ways to use vegetables for tasty treats. This beet butter is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Dishing Up The Dirt with Andrea Bemis. Many times we find that we don't have all the ingredients so we improvise and substitute. We think our spin on it turned out great!
- 3 large beets, washed well and cut into 1/2 in. chucks
- 1 cup almonds, sliced or chopped
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add chopped beets, and then simmer under tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain beets and set aside.
- In a food processor or Vitamix combine almonds, coconut oil, vanilla, and process till smooth.
- Add cooked beets and salt, and continue to process until smooth.
- Allow mixture to cool and then serve with cut veggies, crackers, bread, or as a sandwich spread.
- It can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups