Ryan and Dan Staton met in the backcountry a near decade ago, and since then have forged a friendship based on the backcountry archery lifestyle. Many of you may know Dan from #Elkshape, Hoyt, Mountain Ops, and Sitka (just to name a few,) but we wanted to talk with Dan and his wife, Alicia, to learn more about their life now with a young family. They own Crossfit Spokane Valley and have a passion for fitness, food, and family. Their youngest new addition to the family makes an appearance there as well, because real life can't be scripted. Like the Staton's say, family is life's greatest blessings. Get to know Dan and Alicia a little bit better.
Here are a few things the Statons share:
- Their backgrounds in fitness and athletics.
- Dan's background with writing, video, and #ELKSHAPE, and Train to Hunt
- Food preparation for their busy lifestyle and maintaining healthy nutrition.
- Why they process their own meat, let their meat hang for a week, and don't add fat.
- Ryan shares how he makes his own summer sausage, lunch meat, and the type of clean fat he adds to his burger.
- Dan's 2016 hunting season success and failures.
- Alicia's history with hunting and why she loves whitetail, and how it's changed for her since children.
- How life changes...hobbies at least....for women.
- Why Dan and Ryan are two peas in a pod.
- Hillary shares a bit about "the honeymoon relationship".
- How hunting solo makes you think about what's really important.
- They both answer our 3 final questions...make sure to listen!