On today's podcast Ryan shares his experience with meat prep from mountain to table!
A few topics he touches on:
- Keeping the meat cool.
- Aging meat to help tenderize it.
- Game bags that he likes and why - Tag bags, Caribou bags.
- Tools for cutting and favorite choice cuts.
- Removing fat to improve taste (venison).
- Cleaning and drying of meat.
- Vacuum packing and labeling.
- Why he does his own meat instead of butcher.
- Important equipment for burger : Grinder from Cabela's, vacuum packer.
- Clean fat amounts for burger.
Hillary chimes in with a few health facts and Ryan continues:
- Nitrates and the importance of eating fruits and vegetables.
- What happens with nitrates in meat in the body and how they are linked to cancer.
- Why we choose organic fats and try to avoid hormones.
- Grinding wild game meat with bacon fat for burger.
- Keeping fat cold when adding.
- Mixing burger, packaging and vacuum packing.
- Summer sausage recipe with either venison or elk.