To get a very thorough overview of this podcast, as well as the in depth treatment options, download a copy of the powerpoint Dr. Ingals presented at the 2017 American Association of Naturopathic Physicians Conference- Navigating a Complex AutoImmune Illness.
Lyme Disease (LD) is currently the #1 vector borne infectious disease in the US. It's growing at upwards of hundreds of thousands of cases per year, and unfortunately for many, it goes undiagnosed. In this 2-part podcast series, Dr. Hillary interviews LD expert Dr. Darin Ingels on navigating LD and the many aspects of infection, diagnosis, and treatment.
A bit about Dr. Ingals
Dr. Ingels received his Bachelor of Science degree in medical technology from Purdue University and his Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine from Bastyr University in Seattle, Washington. Dr. Ingels completed a residency program at the Bastyr Center for Natural Health. Prior to attending medical school, Dr. Ingels worked as a clinical microbiologist/immunologist at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, IL.
Dr. Ingels is a licensed naturopathic physician in the State of Connecticut and a licensed Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine in the State of California, where he maintains practices in both states. He is Board certified in Integrated Pediatrics by the American Association of Integrative Medicine. Dr. Ingels is a member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, the American Association of Integrative Medicine, the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS), the American Academy of Environmental Medicine and many State associations. Dr. Ingels is currently a Board member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
He is the author of the upcoming book on Lyme disease, The Lyme Solution: A 5-Part Plan to Fight the Inflammatory Auto-Immune Response and Beat Lyme Disease (Avery, March 2018), which will cover an integrative, natural approach to the treatment and management of Lyme disease.
Dr. Ingels’ practice focuses on environmental medicine with special emphasis on chronic immune dysfunction, including Lyme disease, autism, allergies, asthma, PANDAS, recurrent or persistent infections and other genetic or acquired immune problems. His practice is comprised of both children and adults. He uses diet, nutrients, herbs, homeopathy and immunotherapy to help his patients achieve better health.
In this podcast you'll hear:
- Ryan shares his LD story.
- Introduction to Darin Ingels and his personal story with LD.
- The history of LD and how it got it's name.
- How LD has been around for thousands of years, but why it seems more prevelant now.
- The many types of LD or Borrellia that are found worldwide.
- How many new cases are diagnosed, reported, and not reported per year just in US.
- How the deer tick (Ixodes species) looks, infects, and all about transmission.
- What are co-infections and why they are linked to LD.
- Know vectors for transmission- ticks, mosquitoes, fleas- and what animals are the most common at carrying the deer tick.
- The peak tick season, and why this season is getting longer and longer.
- How to properly remove a tick.
- Acute presentation of LD and why not everyone gets the bullseye rash.
- Other conditions that must be ruled out when making a LD diagnosis.
- Chronic presentation of LD and why many conventional docs don't think it exists.
- Why LD is a clinical diagnosis, and is not diagnosed through testing according to CDC.
- The testing for LD and why it is so confusing and in many cases not conclusive.
- Can we be immune to LD, and can we get it more than once in a lifetime?
- What are antibodies, and how the immune system creates antibodies that are helpful for.
- Why he doesn't like Premetherin and DEET- and why they are so toxic. He also goes over natural repellants.
- The most common place that you will find ticks on your body and why the tick check is ESSENTIAL!!!
To learn about treatments go to Navigating Lyme Disease - Part 2 now.
How to connect with Dr. Ingels:
Dr. Ingals is available in both Conneticut and Orange County, CA, and he does long distance care. His information can be found on his website below:
Associations for Lyme Disease Professionals and Treatments: