Today's podcast is inspired by the many jars of beets we have pickled in the last few weeks. Months ago I got a question about cooking beets, and I thought I'd finally give some help! Besides it being harvest season, and without a real kitchen for two months, Ryan and I were able to get a few beet recipes on board, as well as BUNCH pickled for the winter. (Look for the canning/preservation recipe in our upcoming The StHealthy Preservation Guide and Healing Foods Library )
In this Food Friday podcast:
- Hillary's shares why she didn't go elk hunting with Ryan.
- The flood that destroyed their kitchen, and how the last two months with no kitchen sink has been.
- She shares about the beets they grow, as well as harvesting, and medicinal value of beets. (Refer to Healing Foods- Beets to see this)
- Why eating beet greens increase oxalates.
- How to cook beets.
- The qualities of beets.
- Liver, pink poop and pee.
- Why they love Borscht.
- She shares one of her favorite cook books Dishing Up the Dirt with Andrea Bemis.
- She gives the recipe Sweet Beet Butter.