It's important in life to have a best friend, and if that best friend is your cousin, it's even better. Ryan talks today with his cousin/hunting partner Joey Pyburn. Joey is Ryan's exact opposite, loquacious and social, but together they make a hard working pair of backcountry partners. Look for Joey to be a regular part of our podcast!
In the first 30 minutes:
- They look back on their childhood and why they love hunting so much.
- The years they spent fly fishing Montana, steelhead fishing in WA, and working in Alaskan fishing lodges.
The last 30 minutes:
- Why Ryan loves solo hunting, and Joey doesn't, and why a good hunting partner is vital to success.
- Washington weather and how storms can affect the hunt and your mental toughness.
- Why Joey will bring a tarp on WA hunts and what he considers worse than rain.
- Their 2016 WA mule deer hunt and Crabby the deer.
- Ryan getting "scoped".
- Sitting in a tent under snow for a full 24 hours.
- Why they are food snobs in their older age.
- Heart, tongue, and nuts- why taking everything is important.
- Cauliflower crust.