If you haven't heard of Kombucha these days you must be living under a rock way....OK well that may be a little extreme- but Kombucha seems to be everywhere. Perhaps you don't know why it's so popular, but it has to do with fermentation and the benefits these foods have on our health. In this podcast we are joined again by Dr. Jillian Teta, where she fills us in on all the benefits of fermented foods.
In this podcast:
- Dr. Hillary and her daughter Pailey Belle do a short intro on kombucha and Pailey's special herb drinks.
- Dr. Jillian starts with a short history of fermentation and the cycle of trends.
- How a tiny amount of alcohol will keep water fresh.
- Cultural history and the fermented foods we see in certain populations.
- Why we are more bacteria than we are human and how these bacteria affect EVERYTHING in our bodies.
- Probiotics - the supplemental form of healthy bacteria.
- The rise of processed foods and the decrease of fermentation.
- Why Dr. Jillian doesn't agree with keeping fermentation out of the candida diet and what candida yeast is and how to diagnose it.
- The average person and their sugar consumption today.
- Introduction of fermented foods in babies to increase immunity. (Dr. Caitlan O'Connor- pediatrics)
- The use of antibiotics at a young age and how they affect the microbiome.
- Antibiotic resistance and balance of the immune system.
- Why Dr. Jillian recommends taking large dose probiotics during and after antibiotic course to decrease antibiotic side effects.
- The Kombucha class and all the reasons you need to take it. bit.ly/jtkombuchaclass
- Dr. Jillian gives a second fermentation recipe- adding fruit after it's initial brew. Lavender Blueberry Recipe.
- How to detect mold on your SCOBY.