On today’s episode, Ryan and I were lucky enough to spend a little over an hour talking with Trent and Kody from Born and Raised Outdoors. For the few of you who are not familiar with them, they are a group of awesome men from southern Oregon who have been filming elk hunts, particularly Roosevelt archery hunts, for over ten years. On this show, we really focused on digging into the content that they released this past season, which has exponentially grown their following, and has been one of the most talked about productions in the outdoor industry for the entire year.
Their project, Land of the Free, really took off and required a lot of blood sweat and tears to make it happen. We’ve figured that the project itself has been covered in great depth by multiple other podcasts, so we really wanted to dive into the behind the scenes of the production, and the not so talked about factors. Trent explains to us how the decision was made for him to quit his job as a timber cutter, and make the leap to go full time BRO. Kody shares just how tight money was by the end of the production, and how they were able to come together as not just hunting partners, but as business partners, and brainstorm ways to market and take advantage of the attention they had gained in such a short period of time.
As a group they were able to come up with a business plan would be able to pay their bills and support their families while continuing to be fully invested in Born and Raised and its production. Now that this is their full time gig, we dive into the much discussed topic of turning your passion into your work, and how to separate hunting as “work” and still be able to keep it passionate and a personal enjoyment. We share our thoughts on how we believe they have been a positive influence in the social media world for the hunting industry, which leads us to discussing the reality of elk hunting, and the influence we have on young hunters who watch us. We really appreciate you listening to this episode, and hope that you enjoy it as much as we do! Thanks for tuning in.
- Interview begins (7:00)
- The exponential growth of the BRO community (9:45)
- The success behind Land of the Free (11:30)
- Becoming full time Born and Raised (14:30)
- The learning curve of running an outdoor business (22:30)
- The inspiration behind starting Born and Raised (26:00)
- How Kody and Trent met (28:30)
- Blacktail films in the working (32:15)
- Turning your passion into work (34:30)
- Deciding to put the camera down (39:00)
- Positively displaying the hunting industry (45:15)
- Social media’s affect on portraying hunting (53:00)
- The reality of elk hunting (59:00)
- 2.0 (1:05:30)
- Physical vs Mental exhaustion (1:10:30)
- The different states and different experiences (1:13:15)
- Ryan’s Montana bull (1:15:30)
- Group dynamics and hunting solo (1:22:45)
Subscribe Here: http://bit.ly/BRO_Subscribe
Just a reminder, we have our train to hunt event coming up at the Lampers Ranch this weekend………get all the information here.